Quilt Square + Wish = Squish
In celebration of new life, when a baby is born in some parts of China, family and friends donate to the child's mother fabric scraps from old clothing accompanied by a heartfelt wish for the baby, from which a Bai Jia Bei, or "100 Good Wishes Quilt" is then made. It is said that the luck, energy and good wishes from all of the families and friends who contributed fabric surround the child when she is wrapped in the quilt. The quilt is then passed down from generation to generation as an heirloom, forever generating warmth and love.
Cradling our daughter in a quilt made from squishes gifted to her by our cheerleaders, shoulder-lenders, tissue-suppliers, fellow waiting ladybugs, friends, families and those who tirelessly keep asking if we've gotten a referral yet and hug us when we say "not yet" is something we will treasure always.
So, if you care to share a squish, here's the scoop:
- Choose any 100% cotton fabric that you like - any design or color (preferably quilting fabric weight - not fleece or flannel). Select an old fabric that has special meaning to you, or a new fabric that inspires you to think of hope, of dreams coming true, of love and laughter.
- Fabric should be pre-washed before cutting.
- Cut one 8" x 8” square from the fabric.
- On a 3"x5" or 4" x6" -ish card (acid free lasts longer), attach a small piece of the fabric (so we'll be able to match which piece of fabric goes to each wish) and include your good wish note.
- Your wish can be something you wrote or a favorite poem, lyric, quote, or anything else that strikes your fancy. If the fabric you chose has special significance, please share its history in your wish. Please remember to sign your wish and include your city and state.
- The fabric will be used to make a quilt which, along with your notes, will stand as a testament to how many people were thinking about her before she'd even been born.
How do I begin to tell each and every one of you how much your endless support has meant to us thus far. This adoption has been nurtured by so many of you - we truly feel as though we have a village standing beside us holding our hands as we wait to see our daughter's face for the very first time. Your participation in helping to create this very special keepsake would be forever meaningful to us, and is very much appreciated.
If you would like to share a squish, please e-mail me and I will send you our address. I will be posting photos of the squishes we receive as we get them, so be sure to check back to see our progress!